Pages

Diwali 2012

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

This weekend I decided to take a walk down to the Children's Discovery Museum. I was a bit hesitant since of course I was without a child. But there I went, in hopes to take some photos of the big event  going on.

The festival of lights, Diwali was being celebrated though out the museum. I had never heard of such festival but as I visited the different stations and listened for the radio announcer's voice. He explained that Diwali is one of India's biggest and possibly most important holiday of the year.

He asked different people from the audience how many reasons they had to celebrate Diwali and everyone had different number. However there was one man who had just one answer. He explained that it was the conquering of good over evil. The people light clay lamps in rows, outside their homes to symbolize the light that will protect them from spiritual darkness.

It was really nice to be part of it all; the dancing, drum playing and story telling just made everything so real. 







No comments:

Post a Comment